Want to buy a copy of my cupcake cookbook? Visit lulu!

Banana Frapp Cupcakes





Homemade chocolate covered espresso beans.













Cross-section of the final product.














Before frosting or decorating the cupcakes.




























Just after adding the caramel.


















Without the caramel (topped with banana and chocolate covered espresso beans)













Creating holes and plugs for the banana custard filling. I used a large pastry tip.





























Cooking the malted banana custard filling.
















All Done!
















My Third entry to this month's Iron Cupcake Challenge is a Banana Frapp Cupcake. The ingredient of the month is coffee. The cupcake itself is a coffee angelfood cake dotted with a few chocolate chips. They are filled with a homemade banana custard. I topped the cuppies with a vanilla honey buttercream. To add a little prettiness, I placed a slice of banana, homemade chocolate covered espresso beans, and burned caramel. The idea was to base this cupcake on the Frapps at a certain green-logo coffee shop I used to work at. One of the summers I was working there, they really focused on promoting these Banana Coffee Malted Frapps, and they were unexpectedly delicious... Just like my cupcakes!!
.
I am so proud of these cupcakes! I think these are in my top three cupcakes I've ever made. They are so tasty and every step was so carefully done. It took me a lot of time, but they are worth it and the recipe makes a lot of cupcakes.
.
MALTED BANANA CUSTARD
2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter softened
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups milk
4 medium ripe bananas
3 egg yolks beaten
4 tablespoons malted milk
.
DIRECTIONS
Combine sugar and flour in a medium mixing bowl then mix well and set aside.
Pour milk into a large saucepan then cook over medium heat until candy thermometer registers 160.
.
Gradually stir one fourth of hot soy milk into yolks then stir into reserved dry and add to remaining hot milk. Cook stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats the spoon.
Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
.
Let cool to room temperature.
.
Place all four bananas in food processor with one cup of custard so it will blend well. Pour the banana puree into the remaining custard. Mix in malted milk to the custard mixture.
.
COFFEE ANGELFOOD CAKE
1 1/2 cups egg whites (from about 1 dozen eggs), at room temperature
1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons hot water
1 tablespoon instant coffee or espresso
1 1/8 cup sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 bag of chocolate chips
.
DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
.
In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), whip the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue whipping until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, gradually add 1 cup of the sugar and continue whipping until stiff and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 seconds.
.
In a small bowl, stir together the hot water and instant coffee to make coffee extract.
Using a sieve over a large bowl, sift the remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the pre-sifted cake flour 3 times, to aerate the mixture.
.
Fold the flour mixture into the egg whites in batches; then fold in the vanilla and dissolved coffee.
.
Spoon the batter into prepared cupcake pan, filling each cup only half way. Drop a few chocolate chips into each cup. Fill the cups 3/4 the way full and top with a few more chocolate chips. Bake for apx. 10 minutes or until golden on top.
.
BUTTERCREAM
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temp.
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp honey
.
DIRECTIONS
Blend all the ingredients together in mixer until smooth. Add more sugar or butter if consistency is too dry or wet.
.
To make the chocolate covered espresso beans, I just melted chocolate in a double boiler and poured it over a small container of espresso beans. Make sure the beans cover the bottom of the container, but are not piled on top of each other too much. Then I stuck the container into the freezer until it was frozen. To get it out of the container, I turned it upside down and hit it. I chopped the block into small pieces.
.
To make the burned caramel, I used caramel squares. I dropped them into a heavy pan over medium heat. As they melted I added one tablespoon of butter at a time to keep it fluid. While continuously stirring the caramel, I allowed the caramel to burn slightly on the bottom and bubble up.
.
To assemble the final cupcakes I made a hole and a plug in each cupcake using a very large frosting tip. I spooned a little of the banana custard into each cupcake hole and replaced the plug. Using a pastry bag and a star tip, I frosted a small pile of frosting on to each cupcake. I then put a slice of banana on to each frosting pile. I then took a homemade chocolate covered espresso bean and placed it in the frosting pile. While constantly keeping the caramel hot, I drizzled it over each cupcake. After allowing the caramel to cool (and taking some photos) I covered the cupcakes and refrigerated them until serving.
.
YUM!

1 comments:

Erik said...

These were fantastic. The only bad thing is that now they're all gone...

Contact

My photo
Englewood, Colorado, United States
Want to buy my cupcakes? Email me at keckie.swenson@gmail.com

Vote for my cupcakes!

Followers

Petit Chef

All recipes are on Petitchef