Want to buy a copy of my cupcake cookbook? Visit lulu!

Iron Cupcake Coffee Entry #1
















This month's ingredient for Iron Cupcake: Earth, is COFFEE... After being a three and a half year veteran Starbucks Barista, you'd think this one would be as easy as, well, cake! But, the issue is was just that. The options are so open-ended, it actually hurt my brain to settle on a single idea. So, you can expect that I will have several entries for this month.
In addition to my issue of having too many ideas and not enough limitations, I also have felt the need to pull back on my outrageous recipes. After the tobacco and brandy cupcakes (and a couple others that pushed the envelope a little TOO far) I thought I should return to what I know is just plain good. I think my co-workers, AKA guinea pigs, will also appreciate this. ;)
So, my first entry is a vanilla pound cake brushed with Kahlua and filled with a homemade hazelnut marzipan. I topped these cuppies with an espresso chip meringue. Yumm! The recipe can be found below... Enjoy!
POUND CAKE:
2 cups sugar (I used Baker's sugar that had vanilla beans stored in it)
1 cup butter, softened
5 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup vanilla soy milk

Heat oven to 350° F.
Mix sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla in large bowl.
Beat on low to mix ingredients well.
Beat on high for 5 minutes.
On low, add flour and baking powder alternately with soy milk.
Beat well after each addition.
Spoon batter into lined cupcake pan, 3/4 full in each cup. (OPTIONAL: Add hazelnut marzipan into the center of each cupcake before baking. Pipe in a small amount using a pastry bag with a large tip.)
Bake for 15-20 minutes.
HAZELNUT MARZIPAN:
1.5 cups chopped and toasted hazelnuts
1/2-3/4 cups powdered sugar
Put all the hazelnuts into a food processor until it becomes a smooth hazelnut butter. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and turn the food processor on again. Consistency should be like a firm, paste. If it is not stiff enough, stir in the remainder of the powdered sugar using the food processor.
ESPRESSO CHIP MERINGUE:
3 egg whites, at room temperature
Pinch fine sea salt
3/4 cup Baker's sugar
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
2/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt until frothy, about 1 minute. With the machine on medium-high speed, gradually add the sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and espresso powder. Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture is thick and holds stiff peaks, about 3 to 5 minutes. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to "frost" onto each cooled cupcake. Using a butane torch, toast each meringue.

0 comments:

Contact

My photo
Englewood, Colorado, United States
Want to buy my cupcakes? Email me at keckie.swenson@gmail.com

Vote for my cupcakes!

Followers

Petit Chef

All recipes are on Petitchef