Want to buy a copy of my cupcake cookbook? Visit lulu!

Vietnamese Coffee Cupcakes





























My second entry to this month's Iron Cupcake Coffee Challenge was based on one of my favorite coffee drinks. If you've never had a Vietnamese style coffee, it is amazing. The basic idea is hot strong coffee poured over a small pool of sweetened condensed milk in the bottom of your cup. I have had this hot and cold, both ways are awesome! The strong bold coffee gets these little shots of sweet creaminess. Occasionally you'll find these drinks with a little hint of coconut syrup or even coconut milk in it.
The cupcakes I made were adapted from the a Milwaukee Cupcake Queen recipe. They baked up resembling more like a real cup of coffee than I even expected. Since there wasn't butter, but oil instead they were more chewy and moist in texture. After they cooled I cut a hole into each cupcake and added some sweetened condensed milk to the center. The filling was absorbed into the cake a little, and some of it soaked into the base of the cupcakes, just like the drink! ;) Then I made a coconut buttercream frosting. I frosted the cupcakes and then rolled the tops in toasted coconut shavings.
I think the best part of these cupcakes was the smell they made in my house... everything smelled like natural sweet, slightly buttery coconut. Yumm!! (See recipe below!)





































CUPCAKE:
2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
2 cups white baker's sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 small can of sweetened condensed milk

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, soy milk, yogurt and oil. Stir just until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 15-20 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack.
Cut a hole into each cupcake when they are completely cool. Reserve the plugs from each cupcake. Spoon apx. 1-2 tsp. sweetened condensed milk into the holes. Replace the cake plug.

FROSTING:
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
4-5 tbsp. cream of coconut
1 1/2 cups natural coconut shavings

DIRECTIONS:
Cream the butter and powdered sugar together. Add vanilla extract. Add cream of coconut one tablespoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency. Use a rubber spatula to frost each cooled cupcake. Toast the coconut shaving in a toaster oven, keep a close eye on it. I had to do this in three 1/2 cup batches. Hold each cupcake by the base and roll the frosted top into the coconut shavings.

1 comments:

Julie Bursey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Contact

My photo
Englewood, Colorado, United States
Want to buy my cupcakes? Email me at keckie.swenson@gmail.com

Vote for my cupcakes!

Followers

Petit Chef

All recipes are on Petitchef