Want to buy a copy of my cupcake cookbook? Visit lulu!

Pom Gin Cup


My Second entry for this month's Iron Cupcake Herb Challenge is this "Pom Gin Cupcake." I wanted to make something with an excellent flavor combination, but was simple to make. I came up with the idea for Gin and Pomegranate cupcakes this afternoon, and unfortunately the "simple" part of my endeavor went downhill from there.... For some reason today was just one of those days. Right after returning from the grocery store, I noticed that my sugar canister had only about half a cup of sugar left in it! SO, back to the grocery store. Then, as I was finishing the cupcakes and starting the frosting, I realized that we were out of Gin! SO, I took a short trip over to the liquor store. Of course, when I decided to reduce this Gin on my cook top, I singed my hair!! Yikes! Then as I was getting ready to decorate the cupcakes, I dropped about 100 dragees on the floor (much to the joyful surprise of my dogs!) SIGH... What an insane baking experience for a "SIMPLE" cupcake... oh well, they taste great and maybe, just maybe, were worth it... :)





INGREDIENTS FOR POM CUPCAKE: (c/o Pom)
Juice from 2-3 large Pomegranates, or 1 cup Pomegranate Juice (100% juice, unsweetened)
3 cups all-purpose or cake flour
2 cups granulated or Baker's sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used 100% Cocoa)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water, heated to boiling
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar (not wine vinegar) I used a nice Balsamic I picked up in Italy!
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Prepare fresh pomegranate juice if necessary. Preheat oven to 350F. Place a paper baking cup in each of 24 regular sized muffin cups.
Whisk together the dry ingredients (including sugar) to combine well.
In a large measuring cup, combine pomegranate juice and boiling water.
Add oil, vinegar and vanilla to the pomegranate juice mixture.
Add to the flour mixture all at once and whisk to combine (batter will be lumpy).
Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups (about 3/4 full).
Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and free of crumbs.
GIN FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
Silver Dragees (if desired)
2 8oz. packages Marscapone cheese
3 1/2 to 4 cups powdered sugar
4 tbsp. Dry Skim Milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup Gin (I used Beefeater)
2 Tbsp. granulated or Baker's sugar
**For the love of Pete, PLEASE be VERY careful when cooking the alcohol off the Gin! It is a lot of Gin and there will be A LOT of FLAMES that will burn big and long!**
DIRECTIONS FOR FROSTING:
Heat a saucepan on medium heat. Add the Gin. If you have a flat top range like me, use a long nose lighter to light the edge of the pan. Make sure that nothing flammable is nearby or above the pan!! When the flames extinguish, stir in 2 Tbsp. of sugar. Set aside and allow to cool.
Blend the Marscapone in the mixer until whipped. Stir in the Gin and sugar mixture until combined. Blend in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add the vanilla extract. If the frosting is a little too loose, add the dry milk into the mix until combined. Cool the frosting in the fridge for 30 minutes to one hour.
Frost the cupcakes and decorate with dragees. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Contact

My photo
Englewood, Colorado, United States
Want to buy my cupcakes? Email me at keckie.swenson@gmail.com

Vote for my cupcakes!

Followers

Petit Chef

All recipes are on Petitchef